Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Fantasy baseball update

Since my NL-only team, the only one of the three I have that I gave a rat's ass about, is devastated by injuries right now, I went ahead and made a midseason league team to ease my pain. I did get a filthy eight innings and 13 K's outta my boy Peavy last night in what was a return to dominance for him after struggling with the flu. And hey, I did get Scotty Rolen back off the DL this week too, so maybe a run back at the top of the standings isn't out of the question.

Nevertheless, I had to draft myself a fresh, injury-free team. As usual, I drafted pitching-heavy, landing Peavy, Jake Beckett (who subsequently went and got hurt, so much for that injury-free part), Brandon Webb, Carlos Silva at the top of my staff and Bronson Arroyo and Jeff Weaver to balance out the rotation. Top that off with my, also usual, handful of nasty middle relievers in the pen, and those pitching cats are going to be mine every week. Closers have got to be the most overrated players in fantasy sports. You go ahead and take ERA killers like Jose Mesa, Dan Kolb and Keith Foulke, i'll take guys that contribute across the board like Justin Duchsherer, Scot Shields and Scott Linebrink. Come talk to me when my ERA is below 3 at the end of the week and my WHIP is 1.15. Oh, and did I mention that this league counts holds? Give me that trophy now.

Offensively, I went a little more pop-leaning than usual, netting Mark Teixeira, Adam Dunn and Mr. Second Half, Eric Chavez. The rest of the lineup is filled with solid, productive guys like Ramon Hernandez and Johnny Damon. Throw in up-and-comers like Nook Logan, Tad Iguchi and Jason Ellison, and hopefully the offense can hold up its end of the bargain. The league started scoring this week, and I'm off to an early lead, so things look promising.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home